The Fairfield Free Public Library has a small repository of local history material, curated by the Director of the Fairfield Free Public Library.
The local history collection is comprised of historical material related to:
1. Official Township Business
2. Fairfield Schools
3. Commerce (Includes businesses and transportation)
4. Population (Includes families, houses, farms, demographics & census)
5. Houses of worship and cemeteries
6. Fairfield organizations and clubs
7. Fairfield Free Public Library
8. Geology (Floods/Weather) and Geography (Maps)
The collection also includes microfilm of The Progress from 1892 to 2016.
Available Finding Aids (Updated 5/24/2019)
1. Inventory to Schools of Township of Fairfield (formerly Caldwell Township until 1963) and Surrounding Schools, 1800s – present
Material in this collection is available for viewing and use in the library only. Please call 973-227-3575 to make an appointment to view any material in the local history repository.
Fairfield Historical Society
Meets once a month Thursday at 6:30pm
2019 Dates: June 6, July 11, August 1, September 5, October 3, November 7, and December 5
The Fairfield Historical Society was established in 2018 as a group of individuals interested in preserving Fairfield’s past. All community members are welcome to join.
The Fairfield Historical Society aims to promote and raise public awareness of Fairfield’s history through compiling, preserving, interpreting, sharing, and making accessible historical material connected to the Township of Fairfield (Essex County, New Jersey).
– Collect, preserve, and develop the Fairfield Free Public Library’s holdings in their local history collection
– Engage all ages of the public in the Township of Fairfield’s history through educational programming, exhibitions, online access, township tours, and community outreach
– Collaborate with historical, cultural, and other community organizations, institutions, and individuals
Check it out! We’ve been in the news:
“Fairfield Residents Develop Fairfield Historical Society” TAPinto West Essex (April 18, 2018)
“Historical Society Formed in Fairfield” The Progress (May 8, 2018)
“Fairfield Historical Society Continues to Compile and Preserve In-Depth Materials” TAPinto West Essex (February 13, 2019)